Town of Sunset Beach General Rules
Over the years the popularity of our beach, with both visitors and permanent residents, has grown to the point that we now need to ask all who use the beach to help maintain its charm and beauty for the future. To help us preserve and protect this wonder of nature so it can be enjoyed by you and your family this year and your grandchildren and their families in the future, we and the town ask you to abide by a few rules. These have been instituted solely for your safety and the protection of the environment. We hope it helps preserve the family atmosphere of Sunset Beach and adds to your enjoyment and relaxation during your visit.
1. Please keep off the dunes.
They are turtle nesting grounds and the dunes protect the island during storms.
2. Please leash your dogs at all times.
From Memorial Day through Labor Day, dogs are not allowed on the beach from 8am through 6pm. It's no fun to have wet, sandy dogs shaking on you while you are sunbathing and for health and safety issues, we ask that you please remove any feces promptly and deposit them in the trash receptacles.
3. Fireworks and laser pointers are not allowed for the safety of your family and others.
4. Please do not litter.
Trash receptacles are convenientlylocated for your use.
5. Use only plastic containers or cans on the beach.
For your safety, glass containers are not allowed.
6. For everyone's safety, do not launch or recover motorized watercraft from the beach.
7. It shall be unlawful to surf in the Atlantic Ocean adjacent to the Town of Sunset Beach between 32nd Street extended to the Atlantic Ocean on the west and 5th Street extended to the Atlantic Ocean on the east.
8. Please do not block the public accesses to the beach.
Emergency vehicles must be able to access the strand.
9.Because we are a turtle sanctuary, all personal property must be removed from the beach strand at dark and not returned until sunrise each day so that turtles can come ashore unobstructed as well as safe walking on our beautiful shore at night.
10. Bon fires, charcoal and gas grills are NOT ALLOWED ON THE BEACH or within ten (10) feet of a residence as this may cause fires.
11. The beach strand is closed to all vehicular traffic.
12. Sleeping or camping on the beach strand after dark is not allowed.
The Town of Sunset Beach has instituted these rules (ordinances) primarily to protect the environment and to add to your enjoyment and safety while you are visiting with us. Our beach is patrolled during the day, but it is not guarded. Please exercise your good judgement when swimming in the ocean.
Welcome to Sunset Beach, have a great visit, and please..... LEAVE ONLY YOUR FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND!
NOTE: This page does not attempt to completely describe or circumvent the actual ordinances. To view the full and current ordinances, please click this link: www.sunsetbeachnc.gov